Health care abroad

Why buy an insurance policy when you go abroad ?

  • From one country to another, the level of social protection as well as expenses may vary widely. Our insurance policies are  designed to restore all or part of the social protection that you enjoy in your home country.We make sure that you protect yourself against the consequences of major life events: sickness, maternity, disability, accident, death…

Am I covered for insurance abroad by my credit card ?

  • Insurance included in your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) are more like support contracts that assist you in case of incidents, and only for a short time without offering you health insurance coverage which is essential if you stay more than 3 consecutive months abroad.

    Moreover, the protection provided by these cards take effect only if you pay for your trip with the credit card.

What is the difference between an insurance contract and a support contract ?

  • An insurance contract is a contract that funds the costs that may be affected (e.g. medical costs, lawyers, flight bags…) while a support contract will cover logistics and organisation. It is essential to have a contract that incorporates both insurance solutions and assistance.

Am I covered by Social Security or by my mutual company when I make short trips abroad ?

  • It’s not a question of the duration of your trips.

    The role of the French Social Security is primarily to cover you in France. Under certain conditions, it can support some of your expenses abroad within the limits of the reimbursement rates fixed by the French Social Security, on the basis of costs incurred in France. (See site  Ameli/European Health Insurance Card).

    This can be clearly insufficient to cover all costs incurred abroad, and you may have to pay the balance.

    In most cases, the guarantees offered by your mutual company are limited to metropolitan France and sometimes in Departments overseas.


What is the CFE ?

  • The Fund for French Citizens Abroad (CFE- Caisse des Français à l’etranger) is an organisation specifically dedicated to French nationals living abroad. Membership is voluntary and the CFE guarantees expatriate reimbursement rates based on French Social Security rates.

Life and disability

What is life and disability insurance?

The term refers to cover provided in case of death, work leave and disability. It complements benefits paid by Social Security.

What are your obligations as an employer?

  • As an employer, you are expected to fulfil certain obligations:

    • Set up a plan in one of the following ways: Company-wide agreement, unilateral employer’s decision, or referendum.
    • Provide information to each of your employees.
    • Allow all employees leaving the company, except for serious misconduct, to benefit from the provisions of the ANI (national inter-professional agreement), on the condition that they are registered with the governmental unemployment agency (Pole Emploi).
    • Set up a basic life and disability plan covering mainly life insurance (1.50% of the A-bracket wage for management category staff). Be aware of the tax requirements for employer contributions; contact your advisor for more information.

The different mobility statuses

What is the difference between the status of being posted and the status of being expatriated ?

  • In the case of a posting, an employee may be sent abroad for a limited period of time (from one to a few years). All of their contributions continue to be paid to the French Social Security. The employee is exempt from local assessment that is required in those countries that signed a bilateral agreement with France.

    In the absence of a bilateral agreement between France and the host country of the employee, there exists the obligation to settle local mandatory contributions.

    The employee therefore continues to receive benefits paid by the French social security which may be supplemented by additional international coverage.

    In the case of expatriation, the employee is sent abroad for a long time. Contributions to the French Social Security for this employee stop, but he can be a member of, and contribute to, the welfare regime of the country of expatriation.

    The employee leaves the general scheme of the French Social Security and therefore no longer enjoys the benefits. Expatriation is recommended in the absence of bilateral agreements between France and the host country of the employee.

    To maintain a link with the French general scheme, it is possible to join the Fund for French Abroad (CFE) and choose a supplementary international option. In other cases, a coverage called « the 1st Euro » should be envisaged.